Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Florida Garden

Welcome to my little slice of Florida!

I do not love the Ocala brick that my house and Mermaid Shed is built with, so if you look in the corner you will see the creeping fig. I have discovered that it loves it here and it can cure a multitude of ills. I am covering everything in this house that I do not like with it. Be Careful if you plant it on the ground around trees because it will quickly climb and overcome the tree. Trust me... do not ask... but it cost me a lot of money!

My new Christmas puppy, Moses, is standing in front of my beautiful Ginger. I was supposed to cover it today because we are supposed to get in the 30s and 40s here over the next few days.... I didn't. These tropicals are really good until it gets in the 40's .


This is in my backyard and I get great joy looking out at it.

I have a viburnum hedge, then I have a combination of spathiphilum (Peace Plant), crotons, and ginger. I used to loathe croton because they are done to death in the Florida landscape, however, I really like them combined here. I think this is a perfect trio, but it will freeze and did I mention that I did NOT COVER THEM TODAY!!! I am going to be so mad at myself if they get burned.



Being from Savannah, I love dogwoods, Magnolias and hydrangeas. I have planted them numerous times and moved them all over my garden and I cannot grow them here. I do have azaleas and a lone Magnolia... they are holding their own, but certainly not flourishing. I keep telling them to bloom where they are planted, but they won't listen.
Here is the thought for the day, Lets all bloom where we are planted!




16 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I saw your post and was going to suggest you join us in Outdoor Wednesday at http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/

... all you need to do is display Outdoor Wednesday logo and link back to the site in your post...

you have a great yard!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, your garden is gorgeous - you've got the green ARTIST'S thumb girl! And be still my heart - Moses is PRECIOUS!! Oh swoon... he is soooo cute!!!
xo,
Kim

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Kim! Your yard is beautiful! So lush and tropical! I love the mermaid on the side of your Mermaid Shed! Moses is adorable! We are getting temps in the teens tomorrow night...brrr! I thought I was in the Deep South! lol Have a great evening!...Debbie

My Days with Daisy said...

Thank you Debbie it is always such a treat to hear from you!

Sweet Kim, I want to see more of your yard. I bet you have great yard art?

Susan, you are the reason I posted my yard. Did I do it right with the link. I want to be a part of Outdoor Wednesday. Love it!

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I love a topical garden. Yours is so pretty. I am glad I came over to take a peek.

Savannah is my favorite city!!

I hope you don't mind if I add you to my favorites list. I would love to visit again. Please stop and visit when you get a chance.

Tardevil said...

Ditto to Terrie! I didn't know you were from there. I'm sure it was hard to leave. I told my husband that is where I want to go for my birthday! I can't get there enough! I love your black mermaid. Did you make her? Also love the new puppy! Too sweet (and clean! :O)

My Days with Daisy said...

Hi Tar, Yes, I made her...I do wooden cutouts too..It reminds me of a old English sign or a colonial America. You know since the vast majority of people could not read, they put a sign indicating their occupation outside of their shop. I thought it was fitting.

Pug1 said...

Lovely yard! You're from Savanah??? I love that city!!!!! What a cool biblical name for your puppy! CHEERS! Michele

The Bliss Journey said...

Hi Kim,
I enjoyed viewing your yard. Love your puppy, I just wanna kiss his little face. My pups say hello, they are busy chewing their bones while their Mom is blogging.
Kathleen

Justabeachkat said...

Hi Kim

Thanks for visiting me today...and deciding to follow me. Isn't blogging fun? I've met some of the nicest friends, just by blogging. I've enjoyed my visit here and have decided to follow you too. Love, love, love your mermaids. And new new fur baby....adorable!

Hugs!
Kat

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

You have received an award!

Please visit http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/2009/01/proximidade-award-from.html to pick it up!

Thanks for participating in the First Outdoor Wednesday and making it a success! I hope you participate again soon ~ Susan

Anonymous said...

Your yard is beautiful..and your puppy is sooo Cute! Have a wonderful day Katherinellen

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Kim, it looks GREAT! Your yard and plantings are so pretty, and Moses is so cute posing there. I agree about blooming where we're planted! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Shell in your Pocket said...

How cute..your dog is so white! Your blog is just awesome..love it!
-sandy toe

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing your yard with us, it is so pretty.

Your puppy, Moses, is too cute!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hello Kim, your yard is lovely and I hope cold weather doesn't do any damage. Your dog Moses is a charmer and so cute. Thanks for sharing your corner of the world.

Hugs...Jeanne