Thursday, October 2, 2008

Rusted Mermaids, I love instant Gratification!



I have worked for three days reading about how to create RUST!! I am shocked at the number of sites that discuss how to create rust! It is a very interesting process....it feels a little like a Junior High Science fair project. First, you have to burn the Zinc coating off the galvanized steel. I did this using muriatic acid. It smelled awful, but I was gloved up and wore a mask and glasses. It was a little scary, but it certainly was effective. Then I washed it off and sprinkled it with table salt and Clorox. Who Knew?? I left it over night and then sprayed some peroxide on it, as per instructions. I was mesmerized by the whole process. I had to drag myself away because I am... "Instant Gratification Girl" and the whole thing started rusting right before my eyes.

4 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hey there, Instant Gratification Girl!

If you want to try and see what sea air might do to one of your creations, I volunteer to put one on the balcony of the St. Augustine place and see what happens.

In the mean time, I hope to see you along with the Blakester on the 30th. Be there or be square! ;-)

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Hey,
if you want one you've got it. You know you will always hold the spot as the first one to buy a mermaid!!! Look forward to seeing you.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I look forward to seeing you, too!

I've kind of got a "hankering" for that starfish. What are its dimensions, Kim? I guess it's kind of silly to get one for a house we're selling, but it doesn't hurt to "look," right? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Shebaby,
I have two starfish that are 15 inches wide and 12 in. high approx. I also have one that is 11 in. wide and 7 in. high. They are all in various stages of rusting. I will try to post pixs this weekend. They are cute and very rustic.
Kim
www.ticklishmermaids.com